From: Anthony D'Atri <anthony.datri@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 14 November 2020 10:57:57
To: Frank Schilder
Subject: Re:  Re: which of cpu frequency and number of threads servers osd better?

Guten Tag.

> My plan for the future is to use dm-cache for LVM OSDs instead of WAL/DB device.

Do you have any insights into the benefits of that approach instead of WAL/DB, and of dm-cache vs bcache vs dm-writecache vs … ?  And any for sizing the cache device and handling failures?  Presumably the DB will be active enough that it will persist in the cache, so sizing should be at a minimum that to hold 2 copies of the DB to accomodate compaction?

I have an existing RGW cluster on HDDs that utilizes a cache tier; the high water mark is set fairly low so that it doesn’t fill up, something that apparently happened last Christmas.  I’ve been wanting to get a feel for OSD cache as an alternative to deprecated and fussy cache tiering, as well as something like a Varnish cache on RGW load balancers to short-circult small requests.

— Anthony