From: Sage Meng <lkkey80@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 12 November 2020 16:00:08
To: Frank Schilder
Cc: ceph-users@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Is there a way to make Cephfs kernel client to write data to ceph osd smoothly with buffer io

vm.dirty_bytes and vm.dirty_background_bytes  are all system-wide control parameters, it will influence all the system jobs by adjusting them. Better to have a Ceph Special way to  make the transfer more smoothly.

Frank Schilder <frans@xxxxxx<mailto:frans@xxxxxx>> 于2020年11月11日周三 下午3:28写道:
These kernel parameters influence the flushing of data, and also performance:

vm.dirty_bytes
vm.dirty_background_bytes

Smaller vm.dirty_background_bytes will make the transfer more smooth and the ceph cluster will like that. However, it reduces the chances of merge operations in cache and the ceph cluster will not like that. The tuning is heavily workload dependent. Test with realistic workloads and a reasonably large spectrum of values. I got good results by tuning down vm.dirty_background_bytes just to the point when it reduced client performance of copying large files.

Best regards,
Frank Schilder
AIT Risø Campus
Bygning 109, rum S14