From: Marcel Kuiper <ceph@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, 6 November 2020 10:23
To: ceph-users@xxxxxxx
Subject:  Re: high latency after maintenance]

Hi Anthony

Thank you for your respons

I am looking at the"OSDs highest latency of write operations" panel of the
grafana dashboard found in the ceph source in
./monitoring/grafana/dashboards/osds-overview.json. It is a topk graph
that  uses ceph_osd_op_w_latency_sum / ceph_osd_op_w_latency_count.
During normal operations we see sometime latency spikes of 4 seconds max
but during the bringing back of the rack we saw a consistent increase in
latency for a lot of osds into the 20 seconds range

The cluster has 1139 osds total of which we had 5 x 9 - 45 in maintenance

We did not throttle the backfilling proces because we succesfully did the
same maintenance before on a few occasions for other racks without
problems. I will throttle backfills next time we have the same sort of
maintenance in the next rack

Can you elaborate a bit more what happens exactly during the peering
process? I understand that the osds need to catch up. I also see that the
nr of scrubs increases a lot when osds are brought back online. Is that
part of the peering proces?

Thx, Marcel