Re: How to recover from active+clean+inconsistent+failed_repair?

> But there can be a on chip disk controller on the motherboard, I'm not sure.

There is always some kind of controller. Could be on-board. Usually, the cache settings are accessible when booting into the BIOS set-up.

> If your worry is fsync persistence

No, what I worry about is volatile write cache, which is usually enabled by default. This cache exists on disk as well as on controller. To avoid loosing writes on power fail, the controller needs to be in write-through mode and the disk write cache disabled. The latter can be done with smartctl, the former in the BIOS setup.

Did you test power failure? If so, how often? On how many hosts simultaneously? Pulling network cables will not trigger cache related problems. The problem with write cache is, that you rely on a lot of bells and whistles where some usually fail. With ceph, this will lead to exactly the problem you are observing now.

Your pool configuration looks OK. You need to find out where exactly the scrub errors are situated. It looks like meta-data damage and you might loose some data. Be careful to do only read-only admin operations for now.

Best regards,
Frank Schilder
AIT Risø Campus
Bygning 109, rum S14