Re: The feasibility of mixed SSD and HDD replicated pool

Late reply, but I have been using what I refer to as a "hybrid" crush topology for some data for a while now.

Initially with just rados objects, and later with RBD.

We found that we were able to accelerate reads to roughly all-ssd performance levels, while bringing up the tail end of the write performance a bit.
Write performance wasn't orders of magnitude improvements, but the ssd write + replicate to hdd cycle seemed to be an improvement in reducing slow ops, etc.

I will see if I can follow up with some rough benchmarks I can dig up.

As for implementation, I have SSD-only hosts, and HDD-only hosts, bifurcated at the root level of crush.

>     {
>         "rule_id": 2,
>         "rule_name": "hybrid_ruleset",
>         "ruleset": 2,
>         "type": 1,
>         "min_size": 1,
>         "max_size": 10,
>         "steps": [
>             {
>                 "op": "take",
>                 "item": -13,
>                 "item_name": "ssd"
>             },
>             {
>                 "op": "chooseleaf_firstn",
>                 "num": 1,
>                 "type": "host"
>             },
>             {
>                 "op": "emit"
>             },
>             {
>                 "op": "take",
>                 "item": -1,
>                 "item_name": "default"
>             },
>             {
>                 "op": "chooseleaf_firstn",
>                 "num": -1,
>                 "type": "chassis"
>             },
>             {
>                 "op": "emit"
>             }
>         ]
>     },

I'm not remembering having to do any type of primary affinity stuff to make it work, it seemed to *just work* for the most part with making the SSD copy the primary.

One thing to keep in mind is that I find balancer distribution to be a bit skewed due to the hybrid pools, though that could just be my perception.
I've got 3x rep hdd, 3x rep hybrid, 3x rep ssd, and ec73 hdd pools, so I have a bit wonky pool topology, and that could lead to issues as well with distribution.

Hope this is helpful.

Reed