Re: Ceph not showing full capacity

On 2020-10-25 15:20, Amudhan P wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For my quick understanding How PG's are responsible for allowing space
> allocation to a pool?
>
> My understanding that PG's basically helps in object placement when the
> number of PG's for a OSD's is high there is a high possibility that PG
> gets lot more data than other PG's. At this situation, we can use the
> balance between OSD's.
>
> But, I can't understand the logic of how does it restrict space to a pool?

The space available in the cluster is available for all pools that match
the CRUSH rule. OSDs contain PGs which contain objects. With many PGs
per OSD (100-200 depending on disk type) the balancer can optimize for
equal placement of PGs, optimize for available space, or a mix of both.
The amount of space available is determined by the fullest OSD, as that
OSD will be the first to run out of space for new writes. The more PGs
the more evenly they can be distributed accross the cluster and the
lower the standard deviation will be.

Gr. Stefan