Re: Hardware for new OSD nodes.

Eneko and all,

Regarding my current BlueFS Spillover issues, I've just noticed in https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/rados/configuration/bluestore-config-ref/ that it says:

If there is only a small amount of fast storage available (e.g., less than a gigabyte), we recommend using it as a WAL device. If there is more, provisioning a DB device makes more sense. The BlueStore journal will always be placed on the fastest device available, so using a DB device will provide the same benefit that the WAL device would while /also/ allowing additional metadata to be stored there (if it will fit).
This makes me wonder if I shouldn't just move my DBs onto the HDDs and switch to WAL on the NVMe partitions.  Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

BTW, I don't think I have WAL set up, but I'd really like to check on both WAL and Journal settings to see if I can make any improvements.   I also have 150GB left on my mirrored boot drive. I could un-mirror part of this and get 300GB of SATA SSD.

Thoughts?

-Dave

Dave Hall
Binghamton University