Re: Mon DB compaction MON_DISK_BIG

> Hi,
>
> Yeah, sequentially and waited for finish, and it looks like it is still doing something in the background because now it is 9.5GB even if it tells compaction done.
> I think the ceph tell compact initiated harder so not sure how far it will go down, but looks promising. When I sent the email it was 13, now 9.5.

Online compaction isn’t as fast as offline compaction.  If you set mon_compact_on_start = true in ceph.conf the mons will compact more efficiently before joining the quorum.  This means of course that they’ll take longer to start up and become active.  Arguably this should

> 1 osd is down long time and but that one I want to remove from the cluster soon, all pgs are active clean.

There’s an issue with at least some versions of Luminous where having down/out OSDs confounds comnpaction.  If you don’t end up soon with the mon DB size you expect, try removing or replacing that OSD and I’ll bet you have better results.

— aad