Re: Feedback for proof of concept OSD Node

Comments inline

> On Oct 4, 2020, at 2:27 PM, Ignacio Ocampo <nafiux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Physical space isn't a constraint at this point, the only requirement I've in mind is to maintain a low level of noise (since the equipment will be in my office) and if possible low energy consumption.
>
> Based on my limited experience, the only downside with used hardware is the level of noise and power consumption. I think that building a new one with a non-fancy big box <https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-node-micro-atx-cube-case/p/N82E16811352047> and a typical CPU fan <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KBXKP8W/> can help. But I'm not quite convinced this is a good idea, I would rather prefer to purchase old hardware that works and add new HDD, SSD, NVMe just I don't know which one to choice.
>

> If you guys have any suggestions about used hardware that can be a good fit considering mainly low noise, please let me know.

So we didn’t get these requirements initially, there’s no way for us to help you when the requirements aren’t available for us to consider, even if we had time to consider every one of them for you.

As you might imagine this question lab kit comes up a lot, and we aren’t just answering it for you, but also for others who might have the forethought to search the list as well. Things are changing constantly as well. What’s “best” today might not be so tomorrow. We all started somewhere, so it’s a pleasure to help, but there are always hidden requirements and the folks on the list here are usually not working with the same requirements. For instance, most aren’t concerned about noise because it’s in a big insulated room. They won’t have much to contribute in that regard.

If noise is the primary requirement, I would probably get a bunch of Raspberry Pis and add SSDs on the USB ports. I hope you see what I mean by now :-) There are too many tradeoffs to help each person find a perfect fit.

> Your feedback has been extremely helpful, I will actually modify the plan to utilize SFP+ instead of ethernet, the MikroTik Router Switch is wonderful, I want it.
>
> For the spindles (Are you referring to HDD right?) I selected a 6TB HDD (without any prior experience, I've read that it's like a good balance between a big disk and a small disk, that will impact the recovery time), my plan is to have 5 HDD per Node, with a total capacity of 30 TB per node.
>
> Regarding the kind of workloads I've in mind, in order of priority are: Block Storage for OpenStack (it will be a mix of apps: databases, web servers, etc), Object Storage (to develop apps compatible with S3), I don't think I will need File Storage at this point.
>
> I know HDDs are slow and provide a low IOPS, but since I will have 15 HDD spread across the 3-nodes Ceph cluster, I thought it will help a little bit with the performance, and if needed, I will slowly increase the number of OSD nodes to continue linearly scaling the performance and capacity of the cluster. Should I consider enterprise-grade SSD instead of HDD from day 1?
>
> Thanks for your support!

As earlier, if you are trying to learn about the behaviors of the devices, I would take a mix of both, with not too many of any type that you regret it if you don’t use them. Can you use 90TB of storage in the next two years? If not, I would buy less.

I have personally been working with Ceph for two years, but I am not (and never will be) a storage professional at the level of most people on the list here. We all have different professional focus, but the most important thing is putting *something* together and playing with it first. If you plan on eventually buying three SSDs for your kit and what you’ve currently decided on is going to cost $10,000, buying just the SSDs now and three Raspberry Pis is a rounding error for throwaway kit if you decide to work with a different shopping list after getting experience. It may also save you a lot of money if you catch the change earlier than later.

Lastly, don’t underestimate learning about all this using KVM or some other virtualizer on your laptop. Especially if you have skills in something like Ansible, deploying to new hardware as you get experience and need is trivial – the scripts you develop will work there too. In-memory networking between VMs is as fast as you can get. Feeling like you want physical devices? Plug them into USB and map them to the VMs. Then start doing things like breaking the network, removing disks and still recovering your data. That’s far more important to know than how to plug together big devices.

You don’t need to spend a lot of money to gain this experience.

Brian