Re: Feedback for proof of concept OSD Node

Welcome to Ceph!

I think better questions to start with are “what are your objectives in your study?” Is it just seeing Ceph run with many disks, or are you trying to see how much performance you can get out of it with distributed disk? What is your budget? Do you want to try different combinations of storage devices to learn how they differ in performance or do you just want to jump to the fastest things out there?

One often doesn’t need a bunch of machines to determine that Ceph is a really versatile and robust solution. I pretty regularly deploy Ceph on a single node using Kubernetes and Rook. Some would ask “why would one ever do that, just use direct storage!”. The answer is when I want to expand a cluster, I am willing to have traded initial performance overhead for letting Ceph distribute data at a later date. And the overhead is far lower than one might think when there’s not a network bottleneck to deal with. I do use direct storage on LVM when I have distributed workloads such as Kafka that abstract storage that a service instance depends on. It doesn’t make much sense in my mind for Kafka or Cassandra to use Ceph because I can afford to lose nodes using those services.

In other words, Ceph is virtualized storage. You have likely come to it because your workloads need to be able to come up anywhere on your network and reach that storage. How do you see those workloads exercising the capabilities of Ceph? That’s where your interesting use cases come from, and can help you better decide what the best lab platform is to get started.

Hope that helps, Brian