Re: NVMe's

Hi Brent,

> 1.  If we do a jbod setup, the servers can hold 48 NVMes, if the servers
> were bought with 48 cores and 100+ GB of RAM, would this make sense?

Do you seriously mean 48 NVMes per server? How would you even come remotely close to supporting them with connection (to board) and network bandwidth?

Regarding some of your points there are some valuable comments by Mark Nelson in the archives, hopefully he is okay with me quoting them here, but of course better look them up in the archives for full context.

RAM with NVMe OSDs:

> So basically the answer is that how much memory you need depends largely
> on how much you care about performance, how many objects are present on
> an OSD, and how many objects (and how much data) you have in your active
> data set.  4GB is sort of our current default memory target per OSD, but
> as someone else mentioned bumping that up to 8-12GB per OSD might make
> sense for OSDs on large NVMe drives.  You can also lower that down to
> about 2GB before you start having real issues, but it definitely can
> have an impact on OSD performance.

CPUs with NVMe OSDs:

> With 10 NVMe drives per node, I'm guessing that a single EPYC 7451 is
> going to be CPU bound for small IO workloads (2.4c/4.8t per OSD), but
> will be network bound for large IO workloads unless you are sticking
> 2x100GbE in.  You might want to consider jumping up to the 7601.  That
> would get you closer to where you want to be for 10 NVMe drives
> (3.2c/6.4t per OSD).

Vitaly Filipov (I think) has also compiled interesting information in his wiki here: https://yourcmc.ru/wiki/Ceph_performance

Best Greetings
André

--
Dipl.-Inf. André Gemünd, Leiter IT / Head of IT
Fraunhofer-Institute for Algorithms and Scientific Computing