Re: Setting up a small experimental CEPH network

Perhaps not SBCs, but I have 4x HP 6300s and have been running Kubernetes together with Ceph/Rook for more than 3 years. The HPs can be picked up around 80-120eu. I learned so much in 3 years, last time I had that was when I started using Linux. This was money well spent and still is, it runs nextcloud, home automation, Wifi controller (unifi controller), websites -- and all that safely on Ceph.

Also a big plus of those HP typical business desktops is Intel AMT. It's kind of a poor-man's Remote Management Console (similar-ish to iDRAC and iLO). This integrates nicely with, in my case Ubuntu MAAS. So this allows me to programmatically spin up one of those nodes. Or take a node out for maintenance.

The 4 nodes and network switch run around 100W which I think is pretty ok, but again, this is not SBC territory; though if you think the SBCs will run with a lot less power, think again. If you use spinners expect them to be the main power user in your setup. I never expected them to really do 6W when idle and that really adds up when you have multiple disks per node. If you don't need the sheer data capacity, choose SSDs. I migrated to SSDs for at least the OS disks and that got me into the 100W baseline. Also take at least 8GB per node, including 1 OSD, and an extra 4GB for every extra OSD.

Hans