ceph-container: docker restart, mon's unable to join

Hi,

In an attempt to get a (test) Mimic cluster running on Ubuntu 20.04 we
are using docker with ceph-container images (ceph/daemon:latest-mimic).
Deploying monitors and mgrs works fine. If however a monitor container
gets stopped and started (i.e. docker restart) two out of three (with
exception of mon initial member) mons won't join the cluster anymore and
keep logging the following:

/opt/ceph-container/bin/entrypoint.sh: Existing mon, trying to rejoin
cluster...

If docker is stopped, the mon directory "/var/lib/ceph/mon/$mon-name"
removed and docker started again the mon is able to join the cluster.
This directory is a persistent volume with correct permissions
(167.167). No etcd cluster is in use here. We manually copied the
/etc/ceph and /var/lib/ceph directories to the docker hosts.

Any hints on how to make a mon container survive a reboot is welcome.

Gr. Stefan

P.s And yes, we know about Rook, kubernetes, etc. but that's not what
want to use now.