Re: Is it possible to assign osd id numbers?

On 11/09/2020 22:43, Shain Miley wrote:
Thank you for your answer below.

I'm not looking to reuse them as much as I am trying to control what unused number is actually used.

For example if I have 20 osds and 2 have failed...when I replace a disk in one server I don't want it to automatically use the next lowest number for the osd assignment.

I understand what you mean about not focusing on the osd ids...but my ocd is making me ask the question.

Well, technically, you can create fake OSD to hold numbers and release those 'fake OSD' if you need to use their numbers, but you are really complicate everything. I suggest you to stop worrying about numbers. If you are ok that every OSD on every sever is using /dev/sdb (OCD requires that server1 uses /dev/sda, server2 uses /dev/sdb, server 3 /dev/sdc, etc), so you should be fine with random OSD numbers. Moreover, you should be fine with discrepancy on sorting order of OSD uuid and their numbers, misalignment of IP adddress and OSD тumber (192.168.0.4 for OSD.1 ????).

While it's may be fun to play with numbers in a lab, if you are using Ceph in production, you should avoid doing unnecessary changes, as they will surprise other people (and you!) trying to keep this thing running.