Unable to start mds when creating cephfs volume with erasure encoding data pool

Hi all,

I'm using ceph Octopus version and deployed it using cephadm. The ceph documentation provides 2 ways for creating a new cephfs volume:

 1. via "ceph fs volume create ..." - I can use this and it works fine with the MDS automatically deployed but there is no provision for using EC with the data pool

 2. via "ceph fs new ..." - I can create the new fs volume but the MDS wasn't automatically launched. If I launch them manually using "ceph orch daemon add mds ...", the mds got terminated immediated as orphan so the new fs volume isn't usable.

I'd very much appreciate any pointer to how to properly create a new cephfs volume with an erasure encoding data pool.

Best regards,

--THoang