Re: Persistent problem with slow metadata

On Mon, 2020-08-31 at 14:36 +0000, Eugen Block wrote:
> > Disks are utilized roughly between 70 and 80 percent. Not sure why
> > would operations slow down when disks are getting more utilization.
> > If that would be the case, I'd expect Ceph to issue a warning.
>
> It is warning you, that's why you see slow requests. ;-) But just
> be clear, by utilization I mean more than just the filling level of
> the OSD, have you watched iostat (or something similar) for your
> disks
> during usual and high load? Heavy metadata operation on rocksDB
> increases the load on the main device. I'm not sure if you
> mentioned
> it before, do you have stand-alone OSDs or with faster db devices?
> believe you only mentioned cephfs_metadata on SSD.

Indeed DB is stored on HDDs and only metadata resides on SSDs.

I accidentally stumbled upon someone mentioning disk caching should be
disabled to increase performance.
I'm now looking into how to configure that on these:
- PERC H730P Adapter (has cache on controller)
- Dell HBA330 Adp (doesn't have cache on controller)

It is not as easy as executing "hdparm" command :(

I'll also look into code that does the "truncating" as it may not be
Ceph-friendly :/

https://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rados/configuration/osd-config-ref/#operations