Re: Fwd: Upgrade Path Advice Nautilus (CentOS 7) -> Octopus (new OS)

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 at 13:21, Anthony D'Atri <anthony.datri@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> > Looking for a bit of guidance / approach to upgrading from Nautilus to
> > Octopus considering CentOS and Ceph-Ansible.
> >
> > We're presently running a Nautilus cluster (all nodes / daemons 14.2.11
> as
> > of this post).
> > - There are 4 monitor-hosts with mon, mgr, and dashboard functions
> > consolidated;
>
> You want an odd number of mons.  Add or remove one.

Agreed.   Odd number is the target end state.

> > - 4 RGW hosts
> > - 4 ODS costs, with 10 OSDs each.   This is planned to scale to 7 nodes
> > with additional OSDs and capacity (considering to do this as part of
> > upgrade process)
>
>  Don’t tempt fate.  One thing at a time. Not three.

Never said I was doing all three.  One at a time as per suggested proc.
We would be upgrading MGRs, MONs in one go given they are collocated on the
same nodes.

> > - Currently using ceph-ansible (however it's a process to maintain
> scripts
> > / configs between playbook versions - although a great framework, not
> ideal
> > in our case;
>
> ^ Kefu  ;)

??  Not sure I follow.  Our question is around Ceph Orchestrator vs
Ansible.   The idea of having something managed by the Ceph project vs. a
bolt-on.   There are valid arguments for both.   My comments were not
intended to offend.  Our objective is to reduce complexity / moving parts
in managing ceph as a whole.   Given the project has native orchestrator it
would be preferred to leverage / transition into that (for our deployment).

> > Octopus support on CentOS 7 is limited due to python dependencies, as a
> > result we want to move to CentOS 8 or Ubuntu 20.04.
>
> Do you have a compelling reason to go to Octopus today?

Is there a compelling reason not to proceed?  Is it not the next stable
release?  4 updates since release so far.  Specifically, I'm after object
lock and other performance efficiencies.

> >   The other outlier is CentOS native Kernel support for LSI2008 (eg.
> 9211)  HBAs which some of our
> > OSD nodes use.
>
> How is this a factor, do newer kernels drop support for that old HBA?

It's a RHEL / CentOS thing.   Mainline and Ubuntu kernels support is just
fine.   It's a mature HBA :) extensively deployed and used in scale out
storage clusters.

> > Here's an upgrade path scenario that is being considered.   At a
> high-level:
>
> I suggest that if you are set on doing this, you do one step at a time and
> don’t try to get fancy.  Especially since you only have one cluster.

Thats the intent.   I'm looking for validation / experiences and others
from their upgrades.

> I believe there are Nautlius packages available for CentOS 8 now, so
> perhaps:
>
> * Update each node — serially — to CentOS 8 + new Ceph packages
> * Update to Octopus via the documented method
> * Add your new nodes

Noted.   It's a valid scenario as well.