Re: Editing Crush Map to fix osd_crush_chooseleaf_type = 0

Hi,

1) I believe the correct way to fix this is by following the 5 step method in the documentation; Get, Decompile, Edit, Recompile, Set. Is that correct and is the line I should change 'choose_firstn' to 'chooseleaf_firstn'? Do I only make this change on 1 mon and it will propagate it to all other mons and osds?

first remove the entry from ceph.conf. ;-) You can paste your current ruleset here if you like others to take a look first, it would be easier to confirm knowing the rest.

But those are the required steps, yes. And don't forget to test the modified rule before setting it (change rule id and num-rep to your needs):

crushtool -i crushmap.bin --test --rule 2 --num-rep 6 --show-mappings
crushtool -i crushmap.bin --test --rule 2 --num-rep 6 --show-bad-mappings

and modify until you get the expected distribution of PGs.

2) Does the process start immediately following the setcrushmap command?

Yes.

3) Any files to backup prior to this operation? This is production data so we can not have any data loss.

To be able to rollback you can or should always backup the crushmap you're about to change.

4) Any other notes/things to be aware of?

Test the new rule before applying it.

Regards,
Eugen

Zitat von Matt Dunavant <mdunavant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hi all,

We have a 12 OSD node cluster in which I just recently found out that 'osd_crush_chooseleaf_type = 0' made it's way into our ceph.conf file, probably from previous testing. I believe this is the reason a recent maintenance on an OSD node caused data to stop flowing. In researching how to fix this, I just wanted to confirm a few things and see if anybody who has done this before has any perspective or things to look out for.

1) I believe the correct way to fix this is by following the 5 step method in the documentation; Get, Decompile, Edit, Recompile, Set. Is that correct and is the line I should change 'choose_firstn' to 'chooseleaf_firstn'? Do I only make this change on 1 mon and it will propagate it to all other mons and osds?

2) Does the process start immediately following the setcrushmap command?

3) Any files to backup prior to this operation? This is production data so we can not have any data loss.

4) Any other notes/things to be aware of?

Thank you