Re: Re layout help: need chassis local io to minimize net links

> Thanks for the thinking.  By 'traffic' I mean:  when a user space rbd
> write has as a destination three replica osds in the same chassis

eek.

>  does the whole write get shipped out to the mon and then back

Mons are control-plane only.

> All the 'usual suspects' like lossy ethernets and miswirings, etc. have
> been checked.   It's actually painful to sit and wait while
> 'update-initramfs' can take over a minute when the vm is chassis-local
> to the osds getting the write info.

You have shared almost none of your hardware or use-case.  We know that you’re doing convergence, with unspecified CPU, memory, drives.  We also don’t know how heavy your colocated compute workload is.  Since you mention update-initramfs, I’ll guess that your workload is VMs with RBD volumes attached to libvirt/QEMU?  With unspecified RBD cache configuration.  We also know nothing of your network setup and saturation.

I have to suspect that either you’re doing something fundamentally wrong, or should just set up a RAID6 volume and carve out LVMs.