Re: Degradation of write-performance after upgrading to Octopus

On 6/11/20 11:30 AM, Stephan wrote:
Hi Mark,

thanks for your comprehensive response!

Our tests are basically matching the linked results (we are testing with 2 OSDs/NVMe and fio/librbd too, but having a much smaller setup). Sometimes we see smaller or higher improvements from Nautilus to Octupus but it is similar. Only the random write iops are the other way round, namely a lot slower in our setup …

Meanwhile we have gone through some more testing:

@1) Increasing osd_memory_target from the default (which ist 4GB as far as we know) to 16GB doesn't change the results.

Ok, not likely due to onode cache misses then!

@2/3) The CPUs are configured for high performance in the BIOS and we also ensured that it is set in the kernel as well (governor performance). Each node in our test-setup has one Intel E2690-v3 with 12/24 cores/threads running constantly at 3,1GHz.

Ok, that's good.  FWIW this typically makes a fairly substantial difference with high performance NVMe drives so it might be worth just verifying that you are seeing an improvement vs letting the CPUs drop into low power C states.

@4) Yes, we have tested bluefs_buffered_io without success. We did some profiling using gdbpmp, collecting 100 samples shows that 0.5%-1% of the time is spent in io_submit. There is an extrem performance impact when profiling (reducing iops to several hundreds operations/second), therefore we are uncertain if this is a relevant information. Can we improve the profiling (we used gdbpmp.py -p … -n 100 -m bstore_kv_sync,bstore_kv_final -o … like in the example on github)? We gladly provide the sample data collected if this could be helpful. Furthermore we checked iostats, which seems to be okay (w_await most times below 1).

Yeah, gdbpmp will have a a big effect on performance which in some cases could affect the results (especially if you are profiling the client and the osd at the same time).  Having said that, the way it works is that it periodically stops the process and looks at the sample of what it was doing when it was stopped. Between those pauses it runs normally.  So if you end up with a bunch of samples all in lock contention there's probably a decent chance that the OSD really is spending a lot of time in lock contention during normal execution too.  You can adjust how long it sleeps between sample collection with the -s paramater if you want to maximize the time between pauses (though it will make it take even longer to gather samples).

@5) We have set noscrub and norebalance as well as disabled the automated scaling of the pg count during all our tests.

As the results are reproducible when switching between Nautilus and Octopus, there must clearly be something going on in Octopus. Maybe this only affects very small setups like ours? As far as we see you have been testing with 8 nodes/64 NVMe total, where our setup only consists of 3 nodes with one NVMe each.

It's possible, though even in small setups while we were testing master post-nautilus we were seeing quite a bit better throughput.  If you could try a 1000 sample gdbpmp profile of one of your OSDs on octopus (and even better another one on nautilus) that would be most helpful!  Please also include the benchmark command-line that was run if possible.

Thanks,

Mark