mds behind on trimming - replay until memory exhausted

Hi all,
We have a ceph nautilus cluster (14.2.8) with two cephfs filesystem and 3 mds (1 active for each fs + one failover). We are transfering all the datas (~600M files) from one FS (which was in EC 3+2) to the other FS (in R3). On the old FS we first removed the snapshots (to avoid strays problems when removing files) and the ran some rsync deleting the files after the transfer.
The operation should last a few weeks more to complete.
But few days ago, we started to have some warning mds behind on trimming from the mds managing the old FS. Yesterday, I restarted the active mds service to force the takeover by the standby mds (basically because the standby is more powerfull and have more memory, i.e 48GB over 32). The standby mds took the rank 0 and started to replay... the mds behind on trimming came back and the number of segments rised as well as the memory usage of the server. Finally, it exhausted the memory of the mds and the service stopped and the previous mds took rank 0 and started to replay... until memory exhaustion and a new switch of mds etc... It thus seems that we are in a never ending loop ! And of course, as the mds is always in replay, the data are not accessible and the transfers are blocked.
I stopped all the rsync and unmount the clients.

My questions are :
- Does the mds trim during the replay so we could hope that after a while it will purge everything and the mds will be able to become active at the end ?
- Is there a way to accelerate the operation or to fix this situation ?

Thanks for you help.
F.