Best way to change bucket hierarchy

Helo,

I have a live ceph cluster, and I’m in the need of modifying the bucket hierarchy.  I am currently using the default crush rule (ie. keep each replica on a different host).  My need is to add a “chassis” level, and keep replicas on a per-chassis level.

>From what I read in the documentation, I would have to edit the crush file manually, however this sounds kinda scary for a live cluster.

Are there any “best known methods” to achieve that goal without messing things up?

In my current scenario, I have one host per chassis, and planning on later adding nodes where there would be >1 hosts per chassis. It looks like “in theory” there wouldn’t be a need for any data movement after the crush map changes.  Will reality match theory?  Anything else I need to watch out for?

Thank you!

George