Re: snapshot-based mirroring explanation in docs

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 8:44 AM Hans van den Bogert <hansbogert@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> When reading the documentation for the new way of mirroring [1], some
> questions arose, especially with the following sentence:
>
>  > Since this mode is not point-in-time consistent, the full snapshot
> delta will need to be synced prior to use during a failover scenario.
>
> 1) I'm not sure I follow. Why are snapshots not point-in-time, whereas
> using the journal-based mirroring is?

I agree that it's probably a poor choice of verbiage. Both are technically
crash / point-in-time consistent. The difference is that journal-based
mirroring provides a replayable stream of updates that are synced with a
very fine granularity (down to single IO updates) whereas snapshot-based
mirroring has a very coarse granularity.

2) Also, I am not sure what the implications are for the second part of
> the referenced sentence, what significance does the word "full" bear in
> "full snapshot delta" ?

Given mirroring snapshot A and B, the full delta of changes between
snapshots A and B will need to be successfully synced / applied to the
non-primary image. If you force a failover before a the delta between
snapshot A and B can be applied, the system will rollback the non-primary
image to snapshot A to get the non-primary image to a consistent state.

> Further, Isn't it obvious that in order to do a
> failover, the other side should have the latest snapshot? - I am
> probably missing what the documentation is trying to tell me.

Not all failovers are planned.

All in all, I think some background concepts are missing in order to
> read this chapter of the documentation. It might well be that this is
> explained somewhere else in the docs, but maybe we should link to that.
>
> If someone can explain the above 2 points, I'm willing to take a shot at
> making a patch if I can make this clearer in the docs.

Please feel free to submit any clarifying updates.

> Thanks,
>
> Hans
>

> [1] https://docs.ceph.com/docs/octopus/rbd/rbdcourse-mirroring/
> <https://docs.ceph.com/docs/octopus/rbd/rbd-mirroring/>