Re: [External Email] Re: Ceph Nautius not working after setting MTU 9000

To elaborate on some aspects that have been mentioned already and add some others::

 * Test using iperf3.
 * Don't try to use jumbos on networks where you don't have complete
   control over every host. This usually includes the main ceph
   network. It's just too much grief. You can consider using it for
   limited-access networks (e.g. ceph cluster network, hypervisor
   migration network, etc) where you know every switch & host is tuned
   correctly. (This works even when those nets share a vlan trunk with
   non-jumbo vlans - just set the max value on the trunk itself, and
   individual values on each vlan.)
 * If you are pinging make sure it doesn't fragment otherwise you will
   get misleading results: e.g. ping -M do -s 9000 x.x.x.x
 * Do not assume that 9000 is the best value. It depends on your NICs,
   your switch, kernel/device parameters, etc. Try different values
   (using iperf3). As an example the results below are using a small
   cheap Mikrotek 10G switch and HPE 10G NICs. It highlights how in
   this configuration 9000 is worse than 1500, but that 5139 is optimal
   yet 5140 is worst. The same pattern (obviously with different
   values) was apparent when multiple tests were run concurrently.
   Always test your own network in a controlled manner. And of course
   if you introduce anything different later on, test again. With
   enterprise-grade kit this might not be so common, but always test if
   you fiddle.

MTU  Gbps  (actual data transfer values using iperf3)  - one particular configuration only

9600 8.91 (max value)
9000 8.91
8000 8.91
7000 8.91
6000 8.91
5500 8.17
5200 7.71
5150 7.64
5140 7.62
5139 9.81 (optimal)
5138 9.81
5137 9.81
5135 9.81
5130 9.81
5120 9.81
5100 9.81
5000 9.81
4000 9.76
3000 9.68
2000 9.28
1500 9.37 (default)

Whether any of this will make a tangible difference for ceph is moot. I just spend a little time getting the network stack correct as above, then leave it. That way I know I am probably getting some benefit, and not doing any harm. If you blindly change things you may well do harm that can manifest itself in all sorts of ways outside of Ceph. Getting some test results for this using Ceph will be easy; getting MEANINGFUL results that way will be hard.

Chris