Re: cephfs change/migrate default data pool

Hi Kenneth,

I did a migration from 2 to 3 pool layout recently. The only way to do this within ceph at the moment seems to be to create a second ceph fs with the new layout, rsync everything over and delete the old ceph fs. I had enough spare capacity and room for the extra PGs to do that.

This requires downtime during the final rsync.

Having done the migration, I don't really see any difference in performance or FS stability. It looks like the extra replicated default data pool does not have such a large impact and probably only in rare situations. I usually see no activity on it. Since the 2-pool layout will not run out of support, maybe it is not really that important to migrate?

I didn't hear anything about in which situation it may make a decisive difference, the recommendation is formulated rather weakly. Maybe there are some future changes where this becomes important, but this would need to be answered by a developer.

If you can't afford the downtime and are happy with how it works, I wouldn't bother too much. Would be nice to hear a bit more from someone with technical insight on code level.

Best regards,
Frank Schilder
AIT Risø Campus
Bygning 109, rum S14