Re: upmap balancer and consequences of osds briefly marked out

Hi Dylan,

The backfillfull_ratio, which defaults to 0.9, prevents backfilling
into an osd which is getting too full.
So, worst case scenario is that your cluster will have some osds
getting up to 90% full, after which case the upmap balancer should
starting putting things back into place.

Also, check that your "mon osd down out subtree limit" is set
appropriately for your cluster. In our case, we set it to "host" -- we
don't want to automatically "out" all the osds from an entire host,
because this is normally something that we can quickly fix with a
manual intervention.
But I fear that wouldn't have helped in your case, because the
firewall issue probably downed a random subset of osds from several
hosts all at once.
We've also had happen a couple times, and now set "mon osd down out
interval = 3600" so that we have time to notice the network outage and
set noout on the cluster to prevent lots of rebalancing carnage.

Hope it helps,

Dan