large difference between "STORED" and "USED" size of ceph df

Hello,

We use purely cephfs in out ceph cluster (version 14.2.7).  The cephfs
data is an EC pool (k=4, m=2) with hdd OSDs using bluestore. The
default file layout (i.e. 4MB object size) is used.

We see the following output of ceph df:

---
RAW STORAGE:
    CLASS     SIZE        AVAIL       USED        RAW USED     %RAW
USED
    hdd       951 TiB     888 TiB      63 TiB       63
TiB          6.58
    ssd       9.6 TiB     9.6 TiB     1.4 GiB       16
GiB          0.17
    TOTAL     961 TiB     898 TiB      63 TiB       63
TiB          6.52

POOLS:
    POOL                ID     STORED      OBJECTS     USED        %USE
D     MAX AVAIL
    cephfs-data          2      34 TiB      12.51M      52
TiB      5.93       553 TiB
    cephfs-metadata      4     994 MiB      98.61k     1.5
GiB      0.02       3.0 TiB
---

What triggered my attention is the discrepency between the reported
size of "USED" (52 TiB) and "STORED" (34 TiB) on the cephfs-data pool.

>From this document (
https://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/releases/nautilus/#upgrade-compatibility-notes
), it says that

- "USED" represents amount of space allocated purely for data by all
OSD nodes in KB
- "STORED"  represents amount of data stored by the user.

I seem to undersand that the "USED" size can be roughly taken as the
number of objects (12.51M) times the object size (4MB) of the file
layout; and since there are many files with size smaller than 4 MB in
our system, the actual stored data is less.

Is my interpretation correct? If so, does it mean that we will be
wasting a lot of space when we have a lot files smaller than the object
size of 4MB in the system? Thanks for the help!

Cheers, Hong

--
Hurng-Chun (Hong) Lee, PhD
ICT manager