Problems getting ceph-iscsi to work

Hi everyone!

I have been working for the past week or so trying to get ceph-iscsi to work - Octopus release. Even just getting a single node working would be a major victory in this battle but so far, victory has proven elusive.

My setup: a pair of Dell Optiplex 7010 desktops, each with 16 gig of memory and 1 boot drive (USB 3) and 3 SATA drives (500 Gb SSHD drives). No RAID controllers anywhere. Yes, I know that 3 nodes is the recommended minimum number for a production system - this isn't production (this is just seeing if the darned thing will even work).

I am using Centos 8.1.1911 for the OS (4.18.0 kernel) with a basic or minimal installation (no X-Window). Single Gigabit ethernet per node. I have 2 MON and 2 Mgr installed and working, and I have a total of 6 OSDs working. I created the RBD pool (named "rbd" per the published instructions), creating it initially with 256 PGs (autoscale decided that 32 was a better choice - whatever). The cluster is green and all 6 OSDs are green (up and in). All deployment is via cephadm and all containers are running via podman.

Here is where things start to fall apart.

I was able to find RPM packages for targetcli and python-rtslib (called python3-rtslib) but was not able to find tcmu-runner nor ceph-iscsi packages. OK, no big deal. Time to head over to the manual install guide.

I was able to build tcmu-runner, install it and apparently it is running (systemctl says it is active) so that appears to be OK.

The problem is getting rbd-target-gw and rbd-target-api to work. They appear to build OK and of course, I am able to get them registered with systemd. They universally fail when trying to run them (systemctl start rbd-target-gw or systemctl start rbd-target-api). Both report failure. Looking in journalctl -xe shows no hints at all regarding why they failed (only that they did). Looking in /var/log/rbd-target-api/ show nothing at all (no files). Likewise in /var/log/rbd-target-gw/ (no files).

HELP!!

Now, some possibly germane questions:
1) are any other Ceph services required for ceph-iscsi to work like RADOSgw?
2) since there are no apparent packages available for ceph-iscsi, can anything be inferred to the production-readiness of the subsystem?
3) are there any known errata or missing steps in the instructions for getting ceph-iscsi to work?

Thanks!

Ron Gage