Re: HBase/HDFS on Ceph/CephFS

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 11:05 PM <jesper@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>
> We have an 3 year old Hadoop cluster - up for refresh - so it is time
> to evaluate options. The "only" usecase is running an HBase installation
> which is important for us and migrating out of HBase would be a hazzle.
>
> Our Ceph usage has expanded and in general - we really like what we see.
>
> Thus - Can this be "sanely" consolidated somehow? I have seen this:
> https://docs.ceph.com/docs/jewel/cephfs/hadoop/
> But it seem really-really bogus to me.
>
> It recommends that you set:
> pool 3 'hadoop1' rep size 1 min_size 1
>
> Which would - if I understand correct - be disastrous. The Hadoop end would
> replicated in 3 across - but within Ceph the replication would be 1.
> The 1 replication in ceph means pulling the OSD node would "gaurantee" the
> pg's to go inactive - which could be ok - but there is nothing
> gauranteeing that the other Hadoop replicas are not served out of the same
> OSD-node/pg? In which case - rebooting an OSD node would bring the hadoop
> cluster unavailable.

I just want to affirm that you are correct about this — this isn't a
good way to go. I'm not quite sure how it happened, and the
CephFS/Hadoop interfaces are not really maintained at this point. :(
It seems like it ought to be a good fit but usage has always been too
low to justify maintaining it since we aren't Hadoop experts ourselves
and they made clear they were trying to prune rather than add new FS
implementations in-tree.

As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, the usage being pushed by
support companies and the users I know if is through RGW and the S3A
adapter (or I think maybe there's a newer one now?).
-Greg