Re: Dear Abby: Why Is Architecting CEPH So Hard?

Hello,

simpler systems tend to be cheaper to buy per TB storage, not on a
theoretical but practical quote.

For example 1U Gigabyte 16bay D120-C21 systems with a density of 64 disks
per 4U are quite ok for most users. On 40 Nodes per rack + 2 switches you
have 10PB raw space for around 350k€.
They come with everything you need from dual 10G SFP+ to acceptable 8c/16t
45W TDP CPU. It comes with a M.2 slot if you want a db/wal or other
additional disk.
Such systems equipped with 16x16TB have a price point of below 8k€ or ~31 €
per TB RAW storage.

For me this is just an example of a quite cheap but capable HDD node. I
never saw a better offer for big fat systems on a price per TB and TCO.

Please remember, there is no best node for everyone, this node is not the
best or fastest out on the market and just an example ;)

--
Martin Verges
Managing director

Mobile: +49 174 9335695
E-Mail: martin.verges@xxxxxxxx
Chat: https://t.me/MartinVerges

croit GmbH, Freseniusstr. 31h, 81247 Munich
CEO: Martin Verges - VAT-ID: DE310638492
Com. register: Amtsgericht Munich HRB 231263

Web: https://croit.io
YouTube: https://goo.gl/PGE1Bx