radosgw-admin error: "could not fetch user info: no user info saved"

I'm running into a problem that I've found around the Internet, but for which I'm unable to find a solution:
    $ sudo radosgw-admin user info
    could not fetch user info: no user info saved

I've seen others report this issue, but the troubleshooting has either failed to pinpoint the issue, or has gone from "I have a problem" to "I solved it" with no information as to how it was solved. Unfortunately, due to the nature of our network, I'm unable to provide debug information en masse. I can try to provide individual lines of output if someone knows what I should look for.

I am able to run the user creation command:
    $ sudo radosgw-admin user create --uid="testuser2" --display-name="testuser2"
    {
        "user_id": "testuser2",
        "display_name": "testuser2",
        "email": "",
        "suspended": 0,
        "max_buckets": 1000,
        ...<snip>....
    }

After doing this, I'm still unable to see the user information instead getting the same "no user info saved" output. That said, I know the user is added:

    $ sudo radosgw-admin metadata list user
    [
        "devtest1",
        "testuser",
        "testuser2",
    ]

I'm pretty new to this system and Ceph in general. I looked at /etc/ceph/ceph.conf but I don't see anything that would have anything to do with users. I also don't have an account on the Ansible server that controls the configurations so I can't see if anything is defined there.

I know this isn't particularly detailed in its description of the issue, but I can't find any other useful help via search.

Thank you,
Mathew