Re: Deletion of objects and garbage collector

Hi Pritha,
I tried running radosgw-admin gc list  --include-all and it shows the
shadow objects.

One question - the above list only has list of shadow and multi-part
objects. So, objects that are less than 4MB - will they be not queued -
since they are part of the HEAD and the HEAD gets deleted when we issue
s3cmd del command?

Thanks,
Priya

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 3:33 PM Pritha Srivastava <prsrivas@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi Priya,
>
> Did you try to list the objects using radosgw-admin gc list immediately
> after deleting them?
>
> Try using the command: radosgw-admin gc list --include-all, this lists all
> the expired and non expired entries.
> radosgw-admin gc list, only lists entries that have expired. Objects that
> have been gc'ed expire after a duration that is determined by
> rgw_gc_obj_min_wait the default value of which is 2 hrs.
>
> Thanks,
> Pritha
>
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 3:25 PM Priya Sehgal <priya.sehgal@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I read at many places that when an object is deleted from ceph it is
>> queued
>> for deletion with the garbage collector (GC). However, when I delete
>> objects of various sizes (both less than 4MB and large sized greater than
>> 4MB i.e. MPU) I always find gc list as empty.
>> I tried disabling GC also to make sure that it does not run and delete it,
>> yet I did not find any object when I run the command. Here's the output:
>> *radosgw-admin gc list*
>>
>> [
>>     {
>>         "tag": "2~KsaJkJwSGeuVzeKpkHAe_5vJ3JqZmKc",
>>         "time": "2020-04-10 18:25:23.0.769037s",
>>         "objs": []
>>     }
>> ]
>>
>> NOTE: I tried to delete an object as on 14th April and 15th April.
>>
>> I issued "s3cmd del" command.
>> Ceph Version I am using in Luminous.
>>
>> Please let me know how object deletes work.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Priya

Regards,