Re: Check if upmap is supported by client?

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 3:08 PM Frank Schilder <frans@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> thanks for the fast reply. When you say "bit 21", do you mean "(feature_map & 2^21) == true" (i.e., counting from 0 starting at the right-hand end)?

yes

> Assuming upmap is supported by all clients. If I understand correctly, to use the upmap mode with balancer, I need to set
>
> ceph osd set-require-min-compat-client luminous
>
> Which I would guess will not allow the jewel clients to reconnect. I would be grateful if you could clarify these points to me:

yes

> 1) Can I use up-map mode without setting this?

no

> 2) If so, what happens if a jewel client without this feature bit set tries to connect?

it'll error out with a message about feature mismatch; it checks
actually relevant feature flags not the reverse mapping to a release
which is usually wrong for kernel clients

> 3) I guess that in case that as soon as an up-map table is created, only clients with this bit set can connect. In case we run into problems, is there a way to roll back?

yes, you can remove the upmap items manually and change the client
requirement; I don't know the command to do this off the top of my
head

Paul

--
Paul Emmerich