Re: Fwd: question on rbd locks

I experienced an issue where lock didn't get cleared automatically on RBDs. When a kvm hosts crashed the locks never cleared. It was a permission issue on cephx. Maybe test with a admin user? Maybe post what permissions you have for that user with `ceph auth list`?

Glen

-----Original Message-----
From: Ilya Dryomov <idryomov@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, 8 April 2020 5:48 PM
To: Void Star Nill <void.star.nill@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ceph-users <ceph-users@xxxxxxx>
Subject:  Re: Fwd: question on rbd locks

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 6:49 PM Void Star Nill <void.star.nill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Is there a way to specify that a lock (shared or exclusive) on an rbd
> volume be released if the client machine becomes unreachable or
> irresponsive?
>
> In one of our clusters, we use rbd locks on volumes to make sure
> provide a kind of shared or exclusive access - to make sure there are
> no writers when someone is reading and there are no readers when someone is writing.
>
> However, we often run into issues when one of the machines gets into
> kernel panic or something and the whole pipeline gets stalled.

What kind of kernel panics are you running into?  Do you have any panic messages or stack traces captured?

Thanks,

                Ilya
This e-mail is intended solely for the benefit of the addressee(s) and any other named recipient. It is confidential and may contain legally privileged or confidential information. If you are not the recipient, any use, distribution, disclosure or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. The confidentiality and legal privilege attached to this communication is not waived or lost by reason of the mistaken transmission or delivery to you. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately.