Re: Can't add a ceph-mon to existing large cluster

>>> Sage, do you think I can workaround by setting
>>> mon_sync_max_payload_size ridiculously small, like 1024 or something
>>> like that?
>>
>> Yeah... IIRC that is how the original user worked around the problem. I
>> think they use 64 or 128 KB.
>
> Nice... 64kB still triggered elections but 4kB worked. I have 5 mons again!

I had an experience on 12.2.2 (Luminous) that seems as though it may have been related.

* mon02, not the lead, crashed with a DIMM error and rebooted.  The cluster rode it out just fine
* The next day mon02 was taken down gracefully to address the DIMM issue.  The lead mon’s memory footprint spiked and an election storm commenced.
* IIRC recovery required bringing back the second mon and restarting ceph-mon on the lead