Re: consistency of import-diff

On 3/4/20 3:49 PM, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
> On 2020-03-04T15:44:34, Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I understand what you are trying to do, but it's a trade-off. Endless
>> snapshots are also a danger because bit-rot can sneak in somewhere which
>> you might not notice.
>>
>> A fresh export (full copy) every X period protects you against this.
>
> Hrm. We have checksums on the actual OSD data, so it ought to be
> possible to add these to the export/import/diff bits so it can be
> verified faster.
>
> (Well, barring bugs.)

I mainly meant bugs, I should have clarified that better.

Do you trust the technology you want to backup to create the proper
backup for you? With that I mean, what if librbd or librados contains a
bug which corrupts all your backups?

You think the backups all went fine because the snapshots seem
consistent on both ends, but you are not sure until you actually test a
restore.

Those are the things I take into consideration when using such technologies.

Wido