Re: Changing allocation size

Hi Kristof,

just some thoughts/insight on the issue.

First of all it's not clear if you're going to migrate to EC 6+3 only or downsizing allocation size as well.

Anyway I'd suggest to postpone these modifications for a while if possible. Ceph core team is aware of both space overhead caused by tons of small objects and in some scenarios when using EC pools.

For the latter see https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/44213

The general solution for both seems to be downsizing min alloc size for spinners to 4K but currently this results in a significant performance drop.

Some benchmarks for standalone BlueStore can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DzTEumM2hCnUu9Ceib7GfM035zFmPgPHmXkeTW5t6pA/edit?usp=sharing

A couple of PRs to avoid performance penalty are on the way:

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/33365

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/33434

Once they get into master we might consider backporting these changes to Nautilus.

So my general point is that currently the work is in progress and IMO it's better to wait until its completion.

Thanks,

Igor