Re: ceph nvme 2x replication

On 2/19/20 3:17 PM, Frank R wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have noticed that RedHat is willing to support 2x replication with
> NVME drives. Additionally, I have seen CERN presentation where they
> use a 2x replication with NVME for a hyperconverged/HPC/CephFS
> solution.

Don't do this if you care about your data. NVMe isn't anything better or
worse than SSDs. It's actually still an SSD, but we swapped the SATA/SAS
controller for NVMe, but it's still flash.

> I would like to hear some opinions on whether this is really a good
> idea for production. Is this setup (NVME/2x replication) really only
> meant to be used for data that is backed up and/or can be lost without
> causing a catastrophe.

Yes.

You can still loose data due to a single drive failure or OSD crash.
Let's say you have an OSD/host down for maintenance or due to a network
outage. The OSD's device isn't lost, but it's unavailable.

While that happens you loose another OSD, but this time you actually
loose the device due to a failure.

Now you've lost data. Although you *think* you still have another OSD
which is in a healthy state. If you boot the OSD you'll find out it's
outdated because writes happened to the OSD you just lost.

Result = data loss

2x replication is a bad thing in production if you care about your data.

Wido