Re: Learning Ceph - Workshop ideas for entry level

Hi Bob,

The way I workaround that issue is checking if the file for each hard disk
already exists, if not, I create it. Take a look here:
https://github.com/Nafiux/ceph-workshop/blob/master/Vagrantfile#L41-L57

That allows me to do vagrant up/halt multiple times without any problem.

Thanks!

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 10:42 AM Bob Wassell <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I’ve found that having > 1  drive controller in vagrant is problematic,
> although i do agree it would be preferred logically for > 1 osd per node.
> That being said, have you all run into the problems that i’ve seen with > 1
> hdd controller?   Namely, the inability to use vagrant's up command after a
> machine has been provisioned and halted.   At least from my perspective,
> once you provision you can’t use vagrant for up / halt and just use VB
> commands.  VB does not check for drive controller’s existence, and gets
> confused.  Is that consistent with what you’ve found?  I’ve spent some time
> on this issue, so i’m curious as to if you’ve found any “magic grits” to
> solve it.  This issue is on both *nix and windows too btw.  (It is
> certainly a VB issue, not vagrant’s falt imo)
>

> Thank you in advance for your thoughts, anything that jumpstarts newbs
> past a ceph installation is a great thing!
>
> Bob
>

> [image: SoftIron Logo]
>
> *Bob Wassell*
>
> Solutions Architect | Soft <http://www.softiron.com>Iron
> <http://www.softiron.com>
>
> +1 610 505 9861
>
> bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> On Feb 14, 2020, at 11:50 AM, Ignacio Ocampo <nafiux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> A group of friends and my self are documenting a hands-on workshop about
> Ceph https://github.com/Nafiux/ceph-workshop, for learning purposes.
>
> The idea is to provide visibility step-by-step on common scenarios, from
> basic usage, to disaster and recovery scenarios.
>
> We will hold a workshop next weekend, and some of the ideas for learning
> are:
>
>   - Configure and learn how to consume Block Storage Devices
>   - Configure and learn how to consume File Systems Storage
>   - Configure and learn how to consume Object Storage
>   - Simulate a disaster and recovery event by killing a node and setting
>   up a new one
>   - Simulate a node migration
>
> Any idea or feedback is welcome! From the way we've decided to install Ceph
> (ceph-ansible), the way we're configuring the cluster, suggestions on basic
> day-to-day operations we should learn, etc.
>
> Thanks for your support!
>
> --
> Ignacio Ocampo

Ignacio Ocampo