osd_memory_target ignored

I recently upgraded from 13.2.2 to 13.2.8 and observe two changes that I struggle with:

- from release notes: The bluestore_cache_* options are no longer needed. They are replaced by osd_memory_target, defaulting to 4GB.
- the default for bluestore_allocator has changed from stupid to bitmap,

which seem to conflict each other, or at least I seem unable to achieve what I want.

I have a number of OSDs for which I would like to increase the cache size. In the past I used bluestore_cache_size=8G and it worked like a charm. I now changed that to osd_memory_target=8G without any effect. The usage stays at 4G and the virtual size is about 5G. I would expect both to be close to 8G. The read cache for these OSDs usually fills up within a few hours. The cluster is now running a few days with the new configs to no avail.

The documentation of osd_memory_target refers to tcmalloc a lot. Is this in conflict with allocator=bitmap? If so, what is the way to tune cache sizes (say if tcmalloc is not used/how to check?)? Are bluestore_cache_* indeed obsolete as the above release notes suggest, or is this not true?

Many thanks for your help.

Best regards,