Re: Servicing multiple OpenStack clusters from the same Ceph cluster [EXT]

On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 at 16:52, Matthew Vernon <mv3@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 29/01/2020 16:40, Paul Browne wrote:
>
> > Recently we deployed a brand new Stein cluster however, and I'm curious
> > whether the idea of pointing the new OpenStack cluster at the same RBD
> > pools for Cinder/Glance/Nova as the Luminous cluster would be considered
> > bad practice, or even potentially dangerous.
>
> I think that would be pretty risky - here we have a Ceph cluster that
> provides backing for our OpenStacks, and each OpenStack has its own set
> of pools -metrics,-images,-volumes,-vms (and its own credential).

Hi Matthew,

I think I've come around to that thinking now too.

Despite using different keys, the 2 sets of clients in different OpenStack
clusters would require the same capabilities on the shared pools, which
widens the blast radius a bit too far for me, I think (unless there were
also a capability to restrict the sets of clients' keys to specific
namespaces within the shared pools similar to the caps given out to CephFS
clients)

Thanmks,
Paul

--