Re: Ceph-volume lvm batch: strategy changed after filtering

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 11:48:10AM +0000, Stolte, Felix wrote:
>Hey guys,
>
>I’m struggling with the ceph-volume command in nautilus 14.2.6. I have 12 disks on each server,  3 of them ssds (sda,sdb,sdc) and 9 spinning disks (sdd .. sdl). Initial deploy witch ceph-volume batch works fine, one ssd is used for wal and db for 3 spinning disks. But running the ‘ceph-volume lvm batch --report /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd /dev/sde /dev/sdf /dev/sdg /dev/sdh /dev/sdi /dev/sdj /dev/sdk /dev/sdl’ after the initial deploy I get 'Aborting because strategy changed from bluestore.MixedType to bluestore.SingleType after filtering'
>
>Looking at /var/log/ceph/ceph-volume.log I see:
>[ceph_volume.devices.lvm.batch][INFO  ] Ignoring devices already used by ceph: /dev/sdd, /dev/sde, /dev/sdf, /dev/sdg, /dev/sdh, /dev/sdi, /dev/sdj, /dev/sdk, /dev/sdl
>
>I do understand that before filtering I have MixedType (ssd + sata) and after filtering (only ssds left) it is single type. So the error message is correct.
>
>But why does ceph-volume filter out the spinning disks with data partitions but not the ssds with wal/db? Is this intended?
Intended as in coded that way yes. See https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/ceph-volume/ceph_volume/util/device.py#L381
I'm not exactly sure why journal/wal/db was explicitly excluded here. I'm in the
process of re-writing how batch creates OSDs to address inconsistencies like
this.

Is there maybe space on your SSD drives? In this case its certainly valid to not
filter those, as one might want to co-locate additional volumes.
What exactly are you trying to do?

Nest,
Jan

>Regards Felix
>

>IT-Services
>Telefon 02461 61-9243
>E-Mail: f.stolte@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
>52425 Juelich
>Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
>Eingetragen im Handelsregister des Amtsgerichts Dueren Nr. HR B 3498
>Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: MinDir Dr. Karl Eugen Huthmacher
>Geschaeftsfuehrung: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Wolfgang Marquardt (Vorsitzender),
>Karsten Beneke (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr.-Ing. Harald Bolt,
>Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt

Jan Fajerski
Senior Software Engineer Enterprise Storage
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
(HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg)
Geschäftsführer: Felix Imendörffer