Re: cephfs kernel mount option uid?

On Mon, 2020-01-20 at 16:12 +0100, Marc Roos wrote:
> Is it possible to mount a cephfs with a specific uid or gid? To make it
> available to a 'non-root' user?

It's not 100% clear what you're asking for here. CephFS is a (mostly)
POSIX filesystem that has permissions and ownership, so non-root users
can already access a CephFS mount.

Do you mean that you want to be able to do some sort of uid/gid
"shifting" on the fs? If so, then we will probably not be implementing
that in cephfs, as this is an area of active work upstream at the
generic vfs layer. For example:

    https://lwn.net/Articles/687354/
    https://lwn.net/Articles/806176/

Currently, there is no real solution for this in stock kernels, but you
could look at shiftfs as a possible solution for now and we may
eventually get uid/gid shifting as part of the generic VFS via the new
mount API.
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>