Hardware selection for ceph backup on ceph

Hi,

we‘re currently in the process of building a new ceph cluster to backup rbd images from multiple ceph clusters.

We would like to start with just a single ceph cluster to backup which is about 50tb. Compression ratio of the data is around 30% while using zlib. We need to scale the backup cluster up to 1pb.

The workload on the original rbd images is mostly 4K writes so I expect rbd export-diff to do a lot of small writes.

The current idea is to use the following hw as a start:
6 Servers with:
 1 AMD EPYC 7302P 3GHz, 16C/32T
128g Memory
14x 12tb Toshiba Enterprise MG07ACA HDD drives 4K native
Dual 25gb network

Does it fit? Has anybody experience with the drives? Can we use EC or do we need to use normal replication?

Greets,
Stefan