Re: best practices for cephfs on hard drives mimic

Den tors 9 jan. 2020 kl 17:16 skrev Chad W Seys <cwseys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hi all,
   In the era of Mimic, what are best practices for setting up cephfs on
a hard drive only cluster?
   Our old cluster which began life in Emperor and has been upgraded
until now running Mimic.  21 hard drives ranging from 1 to 4 TB. (Yeah,
ceph doesn't like that.)  It has a triply replicated cache tier in front
of a k2m2 erasure coded pool.  Our main usage these days is cephfs.
   I vaguely remember a few ideas, which might be out of date or never true:
   Bluestore is slower than filestore on hard drives.  ?

I guess one will have to measure with the specific hardware, but from all the filestore->bluestore migration docs, it seems bluestore will skip a lot of extra writes added by having filestore on top of another filesystem (xfs mostly), so it should give more iops per OSD for writes at least. Also, bluestore will need more manual tuning in terms of RAM, since it (as said) doesn't talk normal filesystem so the "use all free ram on OSD hosts for read caches" doesn't apply, but you can set per-OSD memory cache size on bluestore to get more or less similar caching.

   Before release X replicated caches were needed to interface between
writers and the erasure coded pool, but after release X one could write
directly to the erasure coded pool. ?

There is still a penalty for making certain kinds of writes to EC, so you might still want to have a replicated cache pool in front if it works out for you now.