Infiniband backend OSD communication

I am working on upgrading my current ethernet only ceph cluster to a combined ethernet frontend and infiniband backend. From my research I understand that I set:

ms_cluster_type = async+rdma
ms_async_rdma_device_name = mlx4_0

What I don't understand is how does ceph know how to reach each OSD over RDMA? Do I have to run IPoIB on top of infiniband and use that for OSD addresses?

Is there a way to use infiniband on backend without IPoIB and just use rdma verbs?

><>
nathan stratton