Re: ceph-users Digest, Vol 83, Issue 18

> Hi Sinan,
>
> I would not recommend using 860 EVO or Crucial MX500 SSD's in a Ceph cluster, as those are consumer grade solutions and not enterprise ones.

The OP knows that, but wants to know why.

> Performance and durability will be issues. If feasible, I would simply go NVMe  as it sounds like you will be using this disk to store the journal or db partition.

IF there’s an avalable PCI slot.  And then you have N OSDs dependent on a single device, so when it flakes you lose the whole node.

One thing that consumer SSDs — and even some that pretend to be “enterprise” — experience is performance cliffing, they look okay with light workload, but at some threshold they saturate and plummet.