From: ceph-users <ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of DHilsbos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <DHilsbos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2019 6:51:46 PM
To: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Separate disk sets for high IO?

Philip;

Ah, ok.  I suspect that isn't documented because the developers don't want average users doing it.

It's also possible that it won't work as expected, as there is discussion on the web of device classes being changed at startup of the OSD daemon.

That said...

"ceph osd crush class create <name>" is the command to create a custom device class, at least in Nautilus 14.2.4.

Theoretically, a custom device class can then be used the same as the built in device classes.

Caveat: I'm a user, not a developer of Ceph.

Thank you,

Dominic L. Hilsbos, MBA
Director - Information Technology
Perform Air International Inc.