Re: RESEND: Re: PG Balancer Upmap mode not working

Philippe,

I have a master branch version of the code to test.  The nautilus backport https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/31956 should be the same.

Using your OSDMap, the code in master branch and some additional changes to osdmaptool I was able to balance your cluster.  The osdmaptool changes simulate the mgr active balancer behavior.  It never took no more than 0.13991 seconds to calculate more upmaps per round. And that's on a virtual machine used for development. It took 35 rounds with 10 maximum upmaps per crush rule set of pools per round.  With the default 1 minute sleeps inside the mgr it would take 35 minutes.  Obviously, recovery/backfill has to finish before the cluster settles into the new configuration.  It needed 397 additional upmaps and removed 8.

Because all pools for a given crush rule are balanced together you can see that this is more balanced than Rich's configuration uising Luminous.

This balancer code is subject to change before final release of the next Nautilus point release.

Final layout:

osd.0 pgs 146
osd.1 pgs 146
osd.2 pgs 146