Re: getfattr problem on ceph-fs

Hi David,

thanks for the link, I understand the problem now.

I don't think this can be solved within ceph alone in a good way. There are other storage system that also use file system meta objects like .snap dirs and automatic xattribs for administrative purposes. All these are non-copy objects (dirs and attribs) and it almost sounds like this should become an extension of the respective APIs rather than workarounds on the storage system level.

For example, it would also be nice if the .snap dirs (containing actual snaps) were discoverable directly on a file system with a tool like find but protected from copy. The MDS now has functions for showing such info, but holding a parallel data structure somewhere else than the mount point looks more like a workaround than an elegant integration and requires cluster admin access to answer a rather simple question a non-privileged user could answer herself.

In the mean time, my attempt of a complete list:

ceph.dir.entries
ceph.dir.files
ceph.dir.rbytes
ceph.dir.rctime